Thursday, October 27, 2005

1673 How many ways can you say, Be Prepared?

Can you believe those Florida whiners? Or the American tourists in Cancun who think the U.S. military or FEMA should rescue them from shelters? Hello! How many days warning did you folks get? Six or seven? Some complainers are out-of-state. I know a very bright, well-educated, professional Columbus woman stuck in Florida, who just assumed she’d hop on a flight right after the hurricane. I guess she thought they’d leave all those jets just sitting on the run way waiting for her. She had plenty of time to get out before Wilma--in fact, had to change her ticket to stay.

And the media is playing right into it. Last night ABC Evening News was tsk-tsking because 72 hours after hurricane Wilma passed through there were long lines of people waiting for food and water and ice. I rarely ever buy food in quantity, but even at our house with what I have on hand from week to week, we could eat nicely for three days. I’d rather go without ice than stand in line for 7 hours in hopes of getting some. Where are their brains?

If I knew a hurricane was coming to my neighborhood, I would leave. However, since they sometimes don’t go where expected, I’d have my charcoal grill ready, my bathtub filled with water (actually, I don't have one, but most people do) and several filled ice chests in reserve. I’d have flashlights and candles, a lot of cash on hand, and a gasoline powered chain saw. I’d have sandwiches made up ahead of time, and if I had a lot of food in the freezer, I’d use it up or cook it the week before the hurricane hit land.

Responsibility. Common sense. Ingenuity. Planning. Foresight. Backbone. These are what are in short supply in some people’s homes--first, second and third responders have none to give away.

Doyle is a Floridian and she thinks the same and so does Florida Cracker.

1 comment:

tarpon said...

You are correct ... we are losing all sense of "can do" because of the welfare state mentality spread liberally by the MSM.

Wilma's winds were 125 mph at my front door. We took some minimal damage, the house had a little water intrusion but a broom and squeege got rid of that. We went to a local school and sheltered for 12 hours.

The TV people are just running around trying to gin up a story where none exists. The community where I live, about 10,000 homes, took a direct hit from Wilma. I could not find one house destroyed, only minimal damage. The trees and power lines took the biggest hits. The seawalls held, we are at about 9-12 foot elevation on the island.

Katrina had 120 mph winds, Rita had 115, according to the NHC.

I had our hurricane supplies in our 15 year old pick up, on the way up the street to the house, I stopped and cleared the fallen debris, took like 30 minutes with a chain hooked to the trucks' hitch. Then when I got home, I shored up and braced the patio roof and hauled all the trees and and pool cage crap to the curbside. FEMA was nowhere in sight.

We were back up and running by Wednesday. I am sick and tired of the welfare staters thinking everyone else is supposed to do for them.

BTW, properly built, cheap concrete block and tile roof houses survive nicely in most hurricanes of less than 150 mph. Don't do like they did in Mississippi and Louisiana and build houses out of sticks and straw, doesn't work out. And don't live below sea level in hurricane areas -- just common sense.

Back to work ... My neighbor needs some help with some trees down on his property.