Thursday, February 01, 2007

Poetry Thursday #5

Today's assignment--a poem with math terms. Plane geometry in my sophomore year in high school was the only math class I ever liked. So here's the poem.

In geometry class
by Norma Bruce
Feb. 1, 2007

You're the only one I ever loved.
Degenerate and full of sin--
your height, your legs
and references to horizontal.
I so me try.

It wasn't meant to be.
I was too square and plane--
just a double cone
melting under Golden spiral rays.
I some try.

You were one dimensional,
between radical and mean,
with just the line
to touch my obtuse midpoint--
Is o me try.

Before I go on a tangent--
Upon reflection
I no longer flip over your
face or cute little axis.
You are zero to me now.





10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Norma. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Your poem gives me a chuckle, thinking of all the lines trying meet up. Do you think they use dating sites?

Rose

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Very clever (and funny). Good use of the prompt!

gautami tripathy said...

I laughed out loud.

"you are zero to me now"

I like this!

gautami
Straight Curves

Cyn Huddleston said...

Love the evolution of the last line. Yes.

twilightspider said...

So so clever! I love the conjugations of isometry - well done!

Unknown said...

Oh Norma just FABULOUS. And I don't use that word lightly. Your last lines for each stanza: so perfect, and of course, as many have said, teh final line, and the one before it: had me laughing with delight. Smart great work. I had a crush on someone in sophomore year high school geometry class. Can't say as much for the class itself though...

desert rat said...

Neat play on words. I notice we both used some of the same terms! I too liked the different ways you approached "isometry"

Crafty Green Poet said...

Very clever wordplay.

Regina said...

"your cute little axis"- hmm... where would that be exactly?
Very clever poem...

Anonymous said...

Hi Norma :),

I joined PT recently. I used to teach Geometry and other math before switching my career totally over to art and writing. This is so clever! I like the lilt to the writing and the plays on words. I'm smiling. Nicely done!