Friday, May 23, 2008

Taking and making offense

I see the liberals are trying to saddle McCain with two preachers who aren't and weren't his pastor. If they've come out for McCain, I'm guessing it's because there is no viable alternative. If there's ever been anything said about politics in my church (UALC), it must have been the singing of God Bless America the evening of 9/11 when we gathered for prayer. Political activism is a tradition in black churches, and that's Parsley's style, although he's white. I haven't read offensive things in his latest book, so perhaps it's a little proof texting and out of context clipping. Columbus liberal mainline pastors tried to gang up on him during the last election and made fools of themselves.

But, here's a great quote from GK Chesterton which I found this morning researching the hymns suitable for Memorial Day which explains how to do the type of insult and offense stuff we read these days (and 100 years ago when he was writing).
    The tone of the story (as of every Chesterton story) is strongly affected by the exuberant style of the author. There is a scene in a restaurant, where the protagonist has the task of delaying another man for a few hours, and decides to pick a quarrel with him in order to do so. A musician is playing something by Wagner in the background. He approaches the other man's table and is about to attack him. The man's companions hold him back, but he cries out,

    "This man has insulted my mother!"
    "Insulted your mother? What are you talking about?"
    "Well, any way, my aunt."
    "How could he have insulted your aunt. We have just been sitting here talking."
    "Ah, it was what he said just now."
    "All I said was that I liked Wagner played well."
    "Aha! My aunt played Wagner badly. It is a very tender point with our family. We are always being insulted over it."

No comments: