Thursday, May 22, 2008


13 ways to burn calories if you're a coupon queen

Today's Cranky Consumer in the Wall St. Journal reviews "best sites for coupon clipping" and reports only 1% of coupons are ever redeemed. Coupons, sweepstakes, rebates and loyalty cards are all part of the same marketing program to convince buyers that producers want them to save money. The original coupon (over 100 years ago) was a wooden nickle. Now many of them look like credit cards or you can spend even more by printing them off the internet. Here's some exercises to burn calories while you "save."

1. Exercise discretion (125)
2. Jump on the bandwagon (75)
3. Push your luck (80)
4. Race against the expiration date (100)
5. Fish for coupons in your purse (35)
6. Stuff the envelope (30)
7. Hunt for stamps (55)
8. Jog your memory for the offer (75)
9. Run around after specials (350)
10. Chase bargains (250)
11. Fly off the handle at the store manager (250)
12. Wade through the paperwork (100)
13. Grab the last offer (100)

Coupons don't cut your costs; they cover price increases, introduce new products and try to put the competition out of business so they can raise prices later.

4 comments:

Chelle Y. said...

Those are very good ideas. I never used coupons. I intend to, but always forget to give them to the cashier until it is too late.

Laura Paxton said...

I always thought they were a scam...but I'll take every penny I can avoid spending...I've got a lot of little mouths to fill with the measley money paid to our military people to sacrifice their lives....

Anonymous said...

Used properly, coupons are not entirely evil. I don't go out of my way to get them, but if there is one for a product I'd already be buying anyway, then I use it. Cute list, though!

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I clip coupons almost every weekend for things that I use. I won't needlessly use a coupon as an excuse to shop. OK, maybe I do, but you won't tell, right?

Thanks for stopping by my site :)