Thursday, May 22, 2008

Why I'm praying for Ted Kennedy

He's not my enemy and I don't hate him--Christians are specifically told to pray for that group for some very practical reasons. It's hard to hate someone you pray for, and hate always damages the hater. No, that's not the reason, although it would be a good one. I just don't hate Ted Kennedy. Yes, I could pray for him because he is one of our nation's leaders, and Christians are also instructed to pray for their leaders. I guess I just don't think of him as my leader--although I know he took his brother's seat in the Senate and the people of Massachusetts, my fellow Americans, have continued to vote him there year after year, season upon season, and his votes in Congress have impacted my life in many ways.

Ted Kennedy is my brother. That's why I'm praying for him. A brother in Christ. We both believe our righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe (Romans 3:21). We've both been adopted into God's family, sort of a big dysfunctional, squabbling family, but nevertheless, we are brother and sister. He's a Roman Catholic and I'm a Lutheran, and we do see some of the details differently. When we take the bread and the wine, he's getting a "do over" with the body and blood of Christ, whereas for me Christ is spiritually present, encouraging, caring and loving me. That's huge. Justification by faith is central to my faith, whereas Ted looks to church traditions and the pope for the final word. Lutherans don't believe in Purgatory--we know that immediately upon our death we are in some way with Jesus (as we are also in this life through the Holy Spirit) even though our final hope is in the bodily resurrection just as Jesus was resurrected. I'm not sure how many masses will be said for Ted to abbreviate or avoid Purgatory, but from a very human view, I'd say a lot--if I believed that, and I don't.

Scripture doesn't say it this way, but God doesn't grade on a curve. In God's eyes, no matter what Ted has done or not done, it's no worse than what Norma's done. God has declared that sin and death entered the world through one man, Adam, and those who receive his abundant provision of grace and the gift of righteousness do so through the one man, Jesus Christ. (Romans 5:17) Ted Kennedy and I believe Jesus is our righteousness. We can take it to the bank, we can take it to the grave. That's secure. No one can touch it. Thank God! And God bless Ted Kennedy and his family during this difficult time, and draw him very close as they make difficult decisions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope Kenneddy is not taking Communion being that he excommunicated himself by supporting abortion.

I prayed for him, but then again I pray for everyone who supports abortion that they see the error of their ways.

Norma said...

There seem to be a lot of Democrats who ignore what the church teaches and chose party over church.

Anonymous said...

Teddy is a murderer. One, who in my opinion, has never taken the responsibility, tried to get someone else to take the fall, lied about the whole affair, has never been held responsible, and made a mockery of justice. I have to draw the line when considering forgiveness and compassion for a person with these qualities.