Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Pinto Beans

I enjoy black beans and black-eyed peas, but am not fond of pinto beans, that good ol boy dish from Appalachia. They even make cakes with them! But here's some interesting news I read about at the WHFoods web site, the place I always check when I want to know what I'm eating. I always figured all the beanies were about the same. Guess not.
    Pinto Beans May Help Lower Cholesterol

    Over a period of approximately 7 months, relatively small daily servings of pinto beans have recently been shown to help lower cholesterol. Only ½ cup of the beans per day reduced total cholesterol, on average, by about 19 milligrams. LDL cholesterol also showed an average decrease of about 14 milligrams. Interestingly, two other very healthy and fiber-rich foods - carrots and black-eyed peas - did not have this same impact. While we don't yet know the reasons for this special link between pinto beans and their cholesterol-lowering effect, persons who have special concern about their cholesterol levels may want to give special priority to this tasty legume. It should be noted that the subjects in this study had already developed mild insulin resistance prior to participating in the study, and so we cannot yet be sure how well pinto beans will lower cholesterol in persons who do not have mild insulin resistance.

    Donna M. Winham, DrPH, Andrea M. Hutchins, PhD and Carol S. Johnston, PhD. "Pinto Bean Consumption Reduces Biomarkers for Heart Disease Risk." Journal of the American College of Nutrition, Vol. 26, No. 3, 243-249 (2007).
For lunch today I'm having my farm market meal--an ear of corn (2 minutes in the microwave and no clean up), beet greens, and some cucumber/onion/green pepper mix that I whipped up putting the groceries away. Tomorrow I'll have the beets and maybe grilled cabbage and some sliced peaches. Yum. Love summer's bounty.

No comments: