Sunday, August 31, 2008

Two similarities and one huge difference

Michael Medved has a long list of what Governor Palin brings to the ticket, and specifically addresses the experience of her and Obama, emphasizing that "ready to lead" should refer to issues, not years. He does address the charisma feature; I liked these points.
    It begins to close the energy gap. The biggest problem for the GOP this year is that Obama devotees were vastly more energized than McCain supporters. Even though polling looked close, the other side was more excited about their candidate. The Palin pick will help Republicans to catch up, exciting the party’s base – particularly religious conservatives.

    Palin allows Republicans to compete on the novelty front. One of Barack’s biggest advantages has been the widespread sense of wonderment he inspires: “I can’t believe we can really elect a black guy on a national ticket!” Now McCainiacs can claim a miracle of our own, as we pinch our delirious selves: “I can’t believe we can really elect a woman on a national ticket – and a conservative woman at that!”
Black voters have admitted that they never thought they'd see a black man or woman in the White House in their life time and are 97% behind him (but that's not racism according to Civil Rights leaders). But they are probably no more surprised than conservatives that a real conservative might get there! I don't think she'll attract any PUMAS, but she might draw some back from the libertarian candidates who had despaired at the McCain candidacy and in a race this close really matter.

What she doesn't bring to the ticket are heaps, loads, and swamps of white guilt. Occasionally guilt is an energizer, but mostly it's a stand in for actually doing something. Conservatives just don't feel that strongly about the gender issue. Most don't support abortion, which when women's topics are raised among Democrats, it is always at the top, and often they don't get to point 2. Occasionally feminists mention elder care since that usually falls to daughters, but eventually, abortion will take care of that too--elderly, retired career women will have no off-spring to look after their needs. They'll be able to hire government workers from government agencies with their generous government pension. Or maybe the elder care worker will be assigned. I'm not sure the Obamanation have looked that far ahead.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting quote today on abortion. I had to witness firsthand, a friend of mine forced to make that terrible decision. She went in for her 4th month ultrasound-- expecting to find out if she was having a boy or a girl. Instead, they found a baby so malformed that most of the major organs were underdeveloped to the point that the baby could not be expected to survive outside the womb.

I would hate to have to make the choice of what to do. Should she have carried the baby to term? Perhaps. If the baby had lived, would she have been able to afford the care the baby would need to live a couple of weeks?

I don't want to judge. I'm glad it wasn't my choice. I am against abortion. I never had prenatal tests because it wouldn't have mad a difference to me with Down's Syndrome, etc.

The decision isn't black-and-white when technology can prolong life that wouldn't normally survive. Perhaps things were easier before we could peer into the womb, before women couldn't have fertility treatments, resulting in multiple births.

Just some thoughts to share from someone who struggles with other women's ability to choose what happens to their unborn.

Anonymous said...

Is there a time limit on love? Do parents who lose a child at one day grieve less than parents who lose a child at one year, at ten, at forty.

My sister died as an infant, my brother died at 40, both were sick and my parents held them and loved them as they died.

How could a mother kill her child. How can a mother not love the child she is about to bring into this world.

I'll never know since I am not a woman, but if I am ever blessed by children I'll love them, care for them, and protect them from the moment of their conception until the moment of my death.

I think the decision is black or white. The answer is to leave it in the hands of God, and be the best parent you can for as long as you can.

Norma said...

Why do people say "I don't want to judge?" We make judgements all the time on other issues, like cruelty to animals, slavery, dumping waste into rivers, bullying of co-workers. All these have personal elements and long term consequences.

These tests are sometimes wrong. I know a woman who was told her baby would be both deformed and retarded after pre-natal testing. She chose not to abort. This year he's heading for kindergarten, and is just a delightful, normal little guy. It could have gone the other way. The child is no less human however, if he never goes to public school.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I never thought about tests being wrong. Perhaps I trust doctors too much...

I guess I haven't been able to make the jump from my personal feelings about abortion to making it other people's law. You make a powerful argument. Thanks. Something for me to think about.

And I guess as far as financial hardship from newborn babies, etc-- it really isn't that different from finding out later that your child needs care or that something happens to any member of the family-- it's just that in this case, you know ahead of time and can plan/prepare a bit. Interesting how once the child is born, we don't even consider alternatives. And with technology today, the window of survival now has infants in their 2nd trimester surviving. Lots to think about.