Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Michelle Obama on feeding her kids

“Before coming to the White House, I struggled, as a working parent with a traveling, busy husband, to figure out how to feed my kids healthy, and I didn’t get it right,” she explained. “I thought to myself, if a Princeton and Harvard-educated professional woman doesn’t know how to adequately feed her kids, then what are other parents going through who don’t have access to the information I have?”

I have two degrees too (no name dropping for me), but I think I learned about basic nutrition from my mother, from 4-H, and from 7th grade home-ec class. When I was first married, I read the introductory material and nutritional information in my recipe books and women’s magazines.  Many things have changed since I was raising children, like we know margarine probably isn’t good for us, and coffee isn’t going to poison us, the way I learned.  But I always knew fruits, vegetables, some meat, cheese, eggs and bread would cover it. 

I also learned how to make a great pie from watching Mom.  It’s all in the crust.

No comments: