Tuesday, June 02, 2015

The old hymns

For my exercise on the stationary bike this morning I Googled "YouTube choral hymns" and found this nice selection. It's not the beat, it's the content I look for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpHf3hMnPfA

I grew up in the Church of the Brethren and I don't recall we sang anything that had a beat--and then in 1974 we joined UALC and became Lutherans and they missed out on those twangy camp songs too, being mostly ethnic Scandinavians (in our synod). Now we're ecumenical and have boomer music at one service and loud and bouncy at another, but I'm back with the hymns. The Brethren were pacifists and didn't have "Onward Christian soldiers" in the earlier hymnals although I think we all knew it. So it’s good to hear all the oldies but goodies.

No comments: