Monday, August 01, 2005

1315 Now she's the older woman

We squealed and hugged like teen-agers when we ran into each other after last night's program of southern Gospel. She and her family had moved out of state about five years ago, leaving a big hole in our community and church. We met when my daughter was about 12 or 13 and she was assigned to her as a "big sister" through our church youth program. At some point during the 80s she wrote me a lovely note after seeing my husband and me at a dance. Ah, I was such an 80s fashionista. That night I wore a lovely cream colored silk with full sleeves, big shoulder pads, blousy top with fitted waist, full circle long skirt, my best curly perm and full-clown make-up (mascara, eye shadow, etc.). We do a mean jitter-bug, and can fake a reasonable waltz and fox-trot. When dancing, you always look more graceful in a skirt (unless you are a guy, of course, then trousers are a good choice). Her note was so sweet and loving, but I nearly dropped it from surprise when she referred to me as an "older woman" who was a model for the young women to look up to. Older woman? That was my mom and her generation, wasn't it?

As we caught up on the kids, we both did double takes as she told me her oldest was now 21, and I told her my daughter, her "lil sis" would be 38 on her next birthday. As we talked I did the math in my head and realized she was now "the older woman." But I don't think I'll mention it.

No comments: