Monday, August 01, 2005

1318 The ubiquitous plastic water bottle

Although I don't recall when I first attended a public musical or dramatic performance, I can recall them as a pre-schooler. At church I watched the choirs perform at the Forreston Lutheran Church and the Mt. Morris Church of the Brethren; I attended concerts and watched musicians in the band shell in our little village at age 3 or 4; I sat in the audience at my sister's recitals; I cheered from the sidelines as the high school band performed at football and basketball games; I myself performed as a child with my siblings (we were an early version of the Jackson Five, but we were white and there were four of us); I sang in a ladies quartet and choral group and played first chair trombone in the band; I attended many programs of music and drama during high school and college; I acted in a few little productions as a student; and as an adult I've paid out a small fortune for tickets to on the road Broadway productions, picnic with the pops, community theater, and the last 31 years, have spent many hours at Hoover Auditorium here at Lakeside watching every imaginable singing, dancing, performing and dramatic hopeful who makes a living at the smaller venues of America.

But it has only been in the last 5 years or so that every performer seems to need to bring a plastic water bottle on stage. Am I the only one who thinks this looks really tacky--to turn your back on the audience and take a swig? What accounts for this surge in thirst?

3 comments:

American Daughter said...

a. the trendiness of bottled water
b. drugs
c. advancing technology, hot lights
d. better than lighting a cigarette

Norma said...

I'd thought of a. and c., but not b. and d. Thanks. Although I never saw a performer light up on stage.

Susan said...

I have been in a gazillion productions and never saw until the last couple years. The first time it really got me we in the church choir. Then, someone in the contemporary band was swilling on a Pepsi right in the front of the congregation! Even my somewhat irreverent husband thought it was terrible and mentioned it to the pastor.

I'm sure it has to do with the "drink more water" mantra and the availability of bottled water. However, we were always taught not to bring food into the sanctuary, music room, or auditorium...let alone drink it on stage or up front. It is all about Me, Me, Me...just like the rock stars!!