Wednesday, August 03, 2005

1322 Apple Pie Sailing Weather

My sugar-free apple pie won me a week's sailing lessons here at Lakeside. I don't even own a swim suit, so I was going to try to trade it for something else of comparable value, when my husband suggested he use it. He's had two lessons this week and just loves it.

Each day at lunch I hear about treading water with his shoes on and pieces and parts of the sunfish. Apparently he can join the sailing club for the season for $25 and can use the Lakeside boats, so he's excited about that. For years he has loved painting sail boats on the water, and also in dock (his latest painting of the sunfish lined up on their sides on shore sold for $450). Now they will have a bit more authenticity. His skin is as white as you can be and still be alive, so we have to slather his body and head with 45 spf sunblock. The cottage sort of smells like a beach.

Tonight is the opening of the Lakeside symphony season. Last night we went to the reception at the hotel to meet the symphony members (and to eat tiny, delicious snacky meatballs and cold chocolate covered desserts). I spent some time talking to the viola (i.e., the lady who plays one). She's been in the symphony for 15 years, lives in Washington, and teaches orchestra in a middle school. Her husband, who doesn't come, is a conductor. She shares a cottage with 5 other orchestra members--all men. She says they all get along great, and share all the housekeeping duties. No comment.

My husband's perspective drawing class is going well--except for the heat. He comes home about 6 p.m. just dripping. (Rhein Center has no AC.) He's quite excited about the abilities of one class member with no art training starting college this fall. He says she catches on quicker than anyone he's ever taught. The older class members have more of a struggle. I opted out since there were 9 signed up.

Instead of art classes, I've been attending the lectures on China. Gene Swanger is teaching something loosely titled Christian Response to Buddhist Teaching, and so far we are still in the basics of Buddhism. Then in the afternoon, Kerry Dumbaugh who has been with the Congressional Research Service since 1985 (and was a student of Dr. Swanger) is doing modern Chinese history. Yesterday was the late 70s, and I think today is 2003-2005 with lots of emphasis on the current financial page.

The weather should break today and we're looking forward to another fabulous week-end when Jim and Susan will be visiting us.

1 comment:

Camille said...

I have enjoyed reading about your vacation. It has been like a virtual trip for me. You are doing everything I would like to do, sailing, painting, drawing and listening to great music. Thanks for all the details.