Monday, August 08, 2005

1335 It's Peace Week at Lakeside

And therefore, my least favorite week to be here. In fact, this may be only the second or third season in 31 years that my visits have coincided with the peacenik vacationers with their long faces, home-made banners and candlelight marches. Now that I'm retired and have the whole summer to spend here if I choose, I'll probably come across them more often. These aren't the "peace in our time" folk I knew growing up in the Church of the Brethren, but the "Let's bring about peace by humming and meditating and pretending we understand Eastern religions" groupies. These are not "Christian pacifists" who seek the peace that passes all understanding, although some may espouse a syncretistic form of Christianity, but the "I won't talk to you if you aren't open minded" pacifists.

Here's some offerings this week, and I'll leave the leaders/instructors nameless so I won't be gossiping. They wrote up these descriptions, and are a good match for last week's "health and wellness" crowd (earrings, tatoos and hard bodies). Aside from the nuclear proliferation, gap between rich and poor, and beyond the rat race lectures/meetings which I think are pretty standard from year to year (nothing like 80 year olds discussing the rat race), we have these gems:

". . .gather in a circle, sing a simple song. . .connect with each person in the circle, sense the wonder and delight that comes from meditative and lovely openness to all in the circle."

". . .spiritual chants, sung repetitiously, brings the strength of spiritual power into our group as we gather together to share in our glory to the One God." Children welcome if they are old enough to sing.

". . .Look at developing more deeply our own connection with Spirit. . . Only open mindedness, positivity and solution allowed!!!"

YAWN. Sounds like 1970s left-overs.

Meanwhile, I'll be doing up the laundry from a fabulous week-end of wonderful, interesting guests, a week-end with the ballet, a concert and a little jazz flute ensemble. A cool front moved in and it was another unbelieveable thrill to enjoy the lakefront, especially Sunday with an ice cream social and a town band from (someplace nearby?). Sue and Jim have lived all over the USA east of the Mississippi, but despite 10 years in Columbus had never been here. I think they enjoyed themselves, and we certainly appreciated their fresh take on the sights, and their wonderful stories.

Here's what I'm looking forward to this week seven at Lakeside: two more lectures on China by Dr. Eugene Swanger, a class on creative writing, and a watercolor class. There's a paper making class that's back to back with the writing class, so I'm not sure I want to be THAT involved in the arts, but I'll consider it.

No comments: