Wednesday, October 05, 2005

1590 Downshifting: inefficient fun

The only reason to downshift to slow down your car is that it is fun, writes Jonathon Welsh in today's car column in the WSJ. So the little woman was right all along! It's a lot cheaper to replace your brakes than your clutch and transmission.

In high school I dated a guy from another town--Woosung*. He wore cowboy boots, silver jewelry, a fringed leather jacket and tight jeans and didn't have a burr haircut--which made him about as noticeable as the kids wearing Black Goth and tattoos today. And what a car! I could stand in our front yard on a Sunday afternoon and hear him coming down Lowell Park Road when he was at least two miles outside of town (I think that's the name of the secondary blacktop road to Dixon, but I'm not sure). He had a great set of dual pipes on his dark blue Plymouth (I think it was either a 1953 or 1954), and he'd let up on the gas, downshift going around a curve, and I'm sure everyone between Polo and Oregon could hear him. I have yet to hear a car that sounded sweeter than that. Fun, but not good for the brakes or gas mileage. Don't you hate it when your mother was right?

Along Lowell Park Road at Stratford, but my title for this painting is "Ogle County Mall"


*Yes, it's a Chinese name. Samuel Brimblecom constructed the first house in Woosung in 1855. The community's name means "haven of rest," and Woosung was named after a town on the Yangtzse River in China.

No comments: