Tuesday, May 02, 2006

2431 Yummy breakfast cereal

Last week at Trader Joe's I bought Organic Pumpkin FlaxPlus Granola by Nature's Path. A mouthful to say, but a delicious mouthful to eat, too.
The back of the box says that pumpkin seeds are not just for Halloween. They are legendary (according to Michelle Fabian, the dietitian) for their Omega-3 content and digestive benefits. Omega-3 fatty acids help reduce the risk of heart disease, discourage the growth of prostate and breast cancer, and support immune function. Just like eating fish, only it tastes better! Pumpkin seeds include zinc, a trace mineral that affects our immune function, and helps keep our hair, skin, nails nice, ladies, and the male reproductive organs in working order. Pumpkin seeds are also an excellent source of iron.

Unlike a lot of cereal box authors, Michelle even sites her sources which includes three major peer reviewed research journals, and warms the heart, soul and tummy of librarians around the world. Way to go, Michelle. All this good stuff, and I think it was only $2.49 for a box. I think that is cheaper per serving than a lot of the huffed, puffed and fluffed grains I've seen at the supermarkets.

1 comment:

Anvilcloud said...

I can't remember whether I've tried this particular variety, but this is the brand that I eat, almost exclusively.