Monday, May 01, 2006

Monday Memories


Have I ever told you about apple sour cream pie?

You'll have to pry the recipe out of my cold, dead hands. I learned it from my mother, and I suppose some of my nieces have that recipe, which is so heavenly that I won't even enter a contest with it, because you have to submit the recipe which then becomes the property of the contest sponsors. So, No Way!

Here's the story that was passed down from my mother. When she was a little girl (b. 1912)--and remember that your parents and grandparents had to walk 5 miles in the mud or snow up to their chins, and in Mom's case, carrying a cello--her mother employed a German housekeeper. I no longer remember her name, although I think Mom did tell me. She was sort round, jolly, spoke with an accent and thought little children needed to be fed rich food to be happy (which my grandmother definitely didn't believe in), so she would have this pie, warm from the oven, waiting when they walked in the farm house from the one room country school.
*Pineview School, Lee County, Illinois

Mom watched how Mrs. --- made it and years later, when she was famous for her pie baking, I watched her and learned what to do. For my birthdays, I never asked for cake--just this pie. Even when Mom was in her 80s, no one could make a pie like she did. So I know the ingredients. You don't. And I'm not telling.

*In the above photo, my mother is 2nd from the left, front row. For those of you from Mt. Morris, Lucille Kinsley is 3rd from the right, front row. My mother's brother, who was killed in WWII, is 2nd from the right, back row.


Click here for the Monday Memories code
Click here for Kimmy's MM banners

Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's stupid o'clock in the morning and now I have a hankering for Apple Pie... Yep, this is going to be a healthy eating day!

Joan said...

Well gee -- why'd ya go and mention it if you won't share?

I was already salivating just hearing the name of the pie. How about a hint or two at least so we can experiement?

What I like about your blog is your variety -- this Monday Memory was very different from the usual.

Have a great week.

YellowRose said...

So no amount of begging will do, huh? That pie sounds sooooooo good!! And I am not a big pie lover!!

So, where is Lee County in Illinois? Is it in Southern Ill? I grew up in Cook County!

I love that picture! Such beautiful children!

Happy Monday, mine is up!

Sparrow said...

Oh, my grandma makes the BEST pie crust and has taught me and my sisters, too. Her's is sooo flakey and lovely. Yours sounds lovely, too.

I've got my MM up, too.

twiga92 said...

Good thing I'm not a big fan of pie or I'd probably be pestering for some too! LOL! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Unknown said...

Good Morning Norma! Well, you left yourself wide open for pestering. That's like saying don't think about pink elephants! Great picture too.

Thanks for visiting and have a blessed week!

Jen said...

If you won't tell us the ingredients, does that mean you'll just come over and make it for us? I'll be home today after 3:30, and tomorrow after 5ish. Thursday were here from noon on. Do any of these work for you? I think Friday's wide open, shall I pencil you in?

Thanks for stopping by my MM!

Anonymous said...

I finally made it to your comments. I was having such a problem this morning. I just love you MM. It brings back fond memories. It reminds me of Little House On The Prairie! :)

Renee Nefe said...

We could always google the name and see if we come up close. Although my family potatoe salad recipe doesn't come up anywhere except from me. I don't keep secrets when it comes to recipes because I think everyone should try really good food...but if you wanna keep it secret that's fine.

re: my heavy sleeping. No I haven't had it checked out, but it hasn't caused any problems. I can be awakened and I didn't sleep that hard when Darly was a baby. But I did sleep through when she was about 3 she woke up went downstairs and peed on the couch because she had to go and forgot...DH however heard the whole thing and didn't wake me up until she was crying after she peed. And guess who got to go clean it up?