Friday, October 02, 2009

If this is true

We’re all in trouble and I don't know about you, but I should be dead.

“. . . for every 2.2 pounds gained in weight since the age of 18, the odds of healthy survival into old age decreased by 5 percent.” British Medical Journal study, via Newsmax Health.
    The research team used the Nurses' Health Study, which has gathered data from more than 120,000 female registered nurses living in 11 states since 1976. Follow-up questionnaires have been sent out every two years to update information on disease incidence and lifestyle factors.

    Study participants who had reached the age of 70 and were free of major chronic disease had no major impairment of cognitive function and no major limitation of physical function were considered as examples of "successful aging," Franco said.

    "In summary, this study provides new evidence that adiposity at midlife is a strong risk factor predicting a worse probability of successful survival among older women," he said. "In addition, our data suggest that maintenance of healthy weight throughout adulthood may be vital to optimal overall health at older ages."

3 comments:

RightRunner said...

See, Norma. That is why I have that BMR calculator on my site!

I actually weigh less now than I did when I was 18.

I plan on being around for a long time so I can be a pain-in-the-butt for my kids.

Anonymous said...

Murray sez:
What if you were under weight at 18 like I was? I've gained 25 lbs. which puts me at the proper weight for my age and size. The only problem I see is the extra weight is a little "soft". LOL

Norma said...

If I weighed what I did at 18, people would be asking me when I got out of the hospital.