Friday, January 29, 2010

Great art, great message


Panera's changes the hanging banners/art about 5 times a year, I think. Some stores have permanent art, some don't. I created a fan page for the one at 5 points, Upper Arlington, because I see a lot of FaceBook and church members there. I also see artists and writers, professors, retirees, new mothers, a Roman Catholic book group, a collection of Columbus school teachers, a Lutheran book club, school children, my neighbors, and last week met a publisher/chef (who lives in our former house). And that's just the folks I talk to. When our town was hit by Hurricane Ike, this store was one of the few places around with power, and they practically fed the entire community for days. It's one thing to go without a shower--but no coffee?

Since I enjoy art and like to draw and paint, I want to call your attention to the winter banner. It's not only wonderful design, but a great message. For Christians, I'd add Reach, Redeem, Reclaim. The figure appears to be either an African or Asian male raising his hands in praise for blessings swirling and twirling, curving like vines, coming down from heaven, but also offering up something much more stylized like a small tree or leaf. In the background behind the head it could be his/her hair flowing or something roaring and twisting--maybe an ocean or an oozing mass of something he'd like to escape. I'm not sure why s/he's wearing a long sleeve sweater, but it does allow the artist to pick up on the most recent interior color scheme--gold, cream, brown, rust--yet some new colors, the purple, lavendar and pale blue are brought in and work well.

It looks great across the room, but even better up close where you can see the detail.

Update: The artist is Andrea Eberbach. You can see her portfolio here. Now that I've seen some other pieces, I think this is probably a woman and the dark background behind the head is her hair. But it works for me either way.

1 comment:

Deb said...

Hi, norma. Storing food - you betcha! I am sorry I have more or less abandoned this blog. Just not enough hours in the day. Hope you are well!