Thursday, January 14, 2010

Thursday Thirteen--Thrift shop buys



Today's Wall Street Journal has an article on Alicia Kan giving up her executive look wardrobe for a more relaxed look. She sold her designer clothes and reinvented herself. Three years ago I lost 20 lbs. and since I already had an old wardrobe (retired in 2000) and didn't need anything new, I discovered The Discovery Shop, a resale thrift shop that supports cancer research. I found much more than clothing. Here are some of my favorite buys:

1) Silverplate flatware, Reed and Barton 1776, service for 8, with all the serving pieces, $35. I use this set for every day and thoroughly enjoy it.

2) Soup bowls to match my fine china. Not the exact pattern, but close enough that I won't have to pay $50.00 a piece to buy them. I have Countess pattern in Syracuse China, and the bowls are King's Court, Wedding Band pattern. $4.00 each.



3) A CD of Urbie Green and Umpteen Trombones. I used to play trombone and this CD is fabulous! $1.00




4) Two beautiful Christmas cups, $1.00 each. Dunoon Stoneware Scotland, Jane Brookshaw (she has a series).

5) At least 5 pair of dress khaki slacks for my son to wear to work, $4 each. All name brands and in good condition.

6) Jeans and cotton slacks for my husband to wear for Haiti mission work; then they leave their clothes there. Some were better than his own. $3-5.00 each.

7) Numerous pairs of lined wool slacks, made in USA, with natural waist fit, already professionally shortened with dry cleaning tags still attached. Various sizes as my weight changed. Average cost $5.00 each.

8) Pendleton pants suit, tan tweed, short jacket, fitted waist, lined slacks. $25.

9) London Fog raincoat, zip liner, $10.

10) White dress pants suit, summer. $25.

11) Coleman, light weight zip front jacket, blue and gray, for my husband. $5.

12) Cat's Meow buildings, 2 bookstores and a library, $3 each.

13) Talbot and Coldwater Creek jeans--black velveteen, pink, red, charcoal gray, olive, burgundy, all new with tags. Natural waist, some with a bit of lycra or little extra fabric for eased fit in hips and legs for the "mature" woman. Average price $4-5. Anyone need red size 8 jeans? Too tight now. Won't zip. Can't sit.
------------
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun!

9 comments:

Kimberly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Spice said...

I love thrift shops and I think that's great that that one supports cancer research. Great list. Happy TT!

Janet said...

You've gotten some great deals! Wow! I notice you mentioned your husband does Haiti mission work...I feel so bad for those poor folks!

sherilee said...

I love a bargain! Very good deals to be found, if you just take the time. Fun list.

Alice Audrey said...

Wow, a liner for $10? It's a steal.

RivkA with a capital A said...

I love finding used stuff that works for us.

Now I just have to get rid of some more of our own used stuff!

Anyway, thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you'll stop by again!

RivkA

Melissa Mashburn said...

When my daughter was younger, I would stock her dress up closet with thrift store finds. She thought it was great because she could fancy dresses, with shoes, purses and jewelry all at the same time.

I am Harriet said...

Good finds!

Have a great Thursday!
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2010/01/can-you-really-feel-sorry-for-celebs.html

kandyblossom said...

I love thrift shops! Great deals and a great list.

Happy TT!