Monday, January 11, 2010

Monday Memories--The Chemise


The clothing and hair shapes and styles of the late fifties were harbingers of the changes we would see in the early 60s--blousy and bouffant. Especially after the beautiful, young Jackie Kennedy led the way. My mother was a good seamstress, so I wanted something I’d seen in Mademoiselle magazine, and although I don’t have the pattern, the above photo from the April 1958 issue is similar. Also similar is that teenagers regardless of the era are pretty bossy and careless about other’s time commitments, especially their mothers!

April 8, 1958

Dear Family,

[other stuff about my sister Carol and me visiting at Easter]

Mother: If you look on page 102 of the April Mademoiselle I think you'll find a good idea for the chemise pattern. I still need an outfit I can wear for school, but that combination would be darling for good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

April 17, 1958

Dear Ones,

I'm still waiting for my new sheath and chemise.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

April 21, 1958

Dear Ones,

I received my package and really went wild. I love the yellow chemise. That material is wonderful for spring skirts. Mom, could you get some more for 2 or 3 straight skirts--brown or green?


In less than 2 weeks, Mom found the magazine, the style, the fabric, made it and shipped it to my college in Indiana. And before she could catch her breath, I was asking for more!

This was excerpted from my sewing blog, Memory Patterns, with stories of crafts, quilts, doll clothes, formals, housecoats, aprons, etc. And I wasn't even a good seamstress!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Norma....I just love this old magazine photo! So fresh-looking, so feminine (women really weren't afraid of their femininity then, were they?), & like it would not be too awfully hard to make.

I confess to being rather a frustrated seamstress, if I can even call myself that...hah! I suppose it might be fair to classify my skills as early intermediate.

Brenda

Norma said...

My sewing machine (what was called "portable" in 1960) is gathering dust. I never was very good--zippers upside down, sleeves backwards--those sort of rip out mistakes. My mother taught herself--with 3 girls she had too, so by college, she could whip up what we wanted.