Saturday, February 23, 2013

Gallant, Goofus, and Highlights

               68994_496465423724771_2046905014_n[1]

My cousin Jodie Strickland of NC posted this “remember when” photo on Facebook today.  If you're from Columbus, you probably know it was published here--I think it was on Rt. 33 near 5th Ave. Garry C. Myers III, the CEO of Highlights, was the child model for Gallant of the cartoon panel, Gallant and Goofus of Highlights. His grandparents Garry Cleveland Myers and Caroline Clark Myers founded Highlights in 1946. He died January 26, 2005. The parents of young "Gallant" were killed in a plane crash and he and his siblings were raised by an aunt and uncle in Texas. He joined the board of Highlights when he was 24, went to work there when he got out of the Army and worked up through the ranks and became CEO in 1981. Gallant and Goofus appeared also in many sermons. The only reason I know any of that is because I wrote a blog about him in 2005.

1 comment:

mdoneil said...

They still print Highlights, I had to check. I think the last time I saw it was on a visit to the pediatrician 30+ years ago.