Sunday, October 02, 2005

1574 Fashion Fugs won't worry about me

Go Fug Yourself is a fashion blog that tracks celebs. So I guess my entries about fashion and my photos of what to wear on a river cruise are safe. I'm not only not a fashionista, I'm not even a disaster. I see them at the coffee shop but I don't want to be one--especially not one of the over-50's in the short skimpy tops showing waistlines with love handles, or the strolling spandex follies. But Go Fug Yourself written by 30-somethings is a must read for some, even for the celebs it criticizes.

An aside. I was flipping channels and came across a Dukes of Hazzard rerun the other day and thought I'd look up Daisy Dukes and see what she looks like today--after all she's 51 and a lot of women in their 50s look smashing. EEEEEEEK. Don't do it. She's gained a tremendous amount of weight, but wears clothes that definitely don't flatter a larger woman.

Back on track: But blogging about fashion isn't easy, according the the site's webmistresses:

"Like a lot of people who have succumbed to the blogging craze, Ms. Cocks and Ms. Morgan are discovering that the medium has huge challenges. The money is minimal. So far, Go Fug Yourself is generating just $3,500 a month through advertising. Getty Images, the big digital photo supplier, threatened a copyright infringement lawsuit and temporarily shut them down. They sometimes wake up in the morning to profane, raving emails from readers.

Most of all, the blog treadmill is exhausting. Blogs require constant updates to recruit new fans and keep existing ones coming back. So the two women scramble to answer hundreds of emails from readers on their lunch breaks and spend hours scouring the Internet for photos to post. "Some days I start looking in the morning and there's just nobody who looks bad enough," says Ms. Cocks. "If I haven't found anything by midafternoon, I start panicking." "

I know just how they feel. Here it is 5:30 a.m. and I'm writing about people and clothes about which I have absolutely no interest.

2 comments:

Badaunt said...

Do you know the name for those bulging tummies shown off by the short, skimpy tops? Muffins!

I just learned that a couple of months ago, and LOVE it.

(My own muffin stays covered at all times.)

Norma said...

What a great term. Muffin is such a friendly word--like Stud Muffin for a cute guy.