Monday, October 03, 2005

1579 Remembering Nancy Walker

This morning while cleaning the kitchen sink I thought about Nancy Walker who played "Rosie" in the Bounty commercials in the 1970s. According to Wikipedia, the 4'11" actress died in 1992. You occasionally see her in old films, but mainly she's known for pushing the paper towel that would hold up under a lot of abuse and as the mother of Rhoda on the Mary Tyler Moore show and its spin-off.

I was scrubbing the double ceramic sink with a single folded section of Bounty and a sprinkle of Bon Ami when her face and message came to mind. Then I rinsed it out, and wiped down all the cook-top and the tea kettle. I rinsed it again, then wiped all the counter tops. Rinsed again, then wiped the cabinets and the oven fronts and handles. That little piece of paper still looked pretty strong, so I rinsed it again, and wiped up the spots on the floor before I threw it out.

I never used paper towels in the 70s--much too extravagant for our budget. I doubt that I started using it because of the commercial, but through trial and error discovered it was a good buy. A paper towel that holds up that well and then can be tossed so you're not keeping the yucky rag around until you accumulate enough to wash a load, deserves a blog.

At the Bounty website, you can create your own Honey-do list.

No comments: