Thursday, February 09, 2006

Ohio prisoners may have to do without my Snickerdoodles

Today I decided to bake cookies for the Kairos Ministry for prisoners at the Ross Correctional Institution. The guys going in from the church need 660 dozen cookies. I'll let that sink in. That's probably end-to-end from here to Cleveland in cookies. So I decided on snickerdoodles and found a recipe in my mother-in-law's 1950 Betty Crocker Cookbook. When I was finished mixing I noticed they needed to chill before baking, so I put them in a bowl, and I made a cherry pie for my husband while the dough chilled out.

Later I formed the little balls of dough, rolled them in a sugar/cinnamon mix and put them in the oven. I didn't think I was making them too big, but did only get 25 instead of 5 dozen, like the recipe said. Oh well.

After about 5 minutes I smelled something burning, so I opened the oven, and they were melting! And falling over the side of the cookie sheet, splatting on the bottom of the oven set at 400 degrees. It looked like a disaster of major proportions, so I left them in a few more minutes to firm up a bit and pulled them out, with minimal dough falling on the floor of the kitchen. By this time, I had one huge piece of cookie dough. I kept about 5, and dumped the rest in the trash. They actually taste wonderful, but I would eat every last one. (My husband eats sugar free cookies, and these weren't).

Rechecking the recipe I'll just say I think I didn't notice that last cup of flour. Or it was the ghost of my mother-in-law who really didn't like to cook.

No comments: