Friday, February 17, 2006

2180 Today's effort

Last week, actually the last two weeks, I was working on a hockey painting in my Friday workshop that really didn't work out. Looked like a paint-by-number by a 5 year old. Today I tried "Duckling," copying an oil painting by Jay Johnson in the book "Keys to painting fur and feathers." This book has many nice animal studies. But I've often wondered when I use these books why so few cats and dogs and so many parrots and deer and grizzlies? I mean, which are we more like to have around us to enjoy and study? I would love to find a really good "How to paint cats" book with studies that didn't look like cartoons or lab specimens.



My husband has done some beautiful watercolors this week. Because he is an architect he's particularly good with barns, but likes to stretch a bit, and did a nice study of our son fishing off the dock at Lakeside.


No comments: