Friday, February 10, 2006

2148 Looking for a good movie

to check out from the library for the week-end, or maybe for Valentine's Day? Semicolon has a list of 105 with a brief review. I'm guessing she's seen every one of them, too.

17. Chariots of Fire (1981)
Chariots is absolutely the most inspiring movie about standing firm for what one believes that I've ever seen.
Eric Liddell: I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure

21. Driving Miss Daisy (1989)
This movie won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 1989, and Jessica Tandy won Best Actress. It's about the friendship between an elderly Southern Jewish lady and her black chauffer. Organizer Daughter says it's extremely boring, but I like old people and relationship movies.

25. Father of the Bride (1950)
Spencer Tracy makes a better father than Steve Martin, more twinkle-in-the-eye. And Elizabeth Taylor is beautiful as usual.

32. Gone with the Wind (1939)
Classic. "I'll think about that tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day." "I don't know nothing about birthin' no babies, Miz Scarlett." "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." You just have to get the accent right.

40.It Happened One Night (1934)
Clark Gable is a reporter in this romantic comedy about a run-away rich girl.

55. The Miracle Worker (1962)
Anne Bancroft plays Teacher Annie Sullivan, and a young Patty Duke plays Helen Keller. The scene in which Helen recognizes her first words at the water pump is classic-worth the whole movie.

Well, just look at the whole list. It's fun.

1 comment:

Just D said...

This list makes me hungry for a good movie, I'm a bit tired of the fluff and special effects! I can't believe I haven't seen any of these ones, guess I have a marathon to sit for! I'm here via the TT blogroll, a day late but I still have the same dollar.