Monday, February 13, 2006

Monday Memories


Monday Memories

Did I ever tell you about my green thumb?


On one of my parents’ visits (they lived in Illinois and we live in Ohio) when our children were about 4 and 5, my mother gave them each a small potted houseplant. I think they may have been starts from her kitchen window collection. I'm absolutely terrible with plants, but these two little things (I never took them out of their original pots and have no idea what they are called) managed to survive on my window sill at our house for over 30 years. They always looked just awful, but they were alive, and I admired their spunk.

People who knew about plants would pause at the window and try to snip off a few dead leaves and make suggestions like, "Why are you binding up their poor little feet in those small pots," or "Have you thought about fertilizer, moving them, trimming them, etc." But the two little plants just kept on keeping on, year after year, through pre-school, grade school, high school, birthday parties, prom dates, family crises, the kids moving out and finally moving on to their own marriages and homes and coming back to visit. In fact, those poor little scruffy, pitiful, limp plants sat on the window sill through two wedding brunches, in 1993 and 1998 (one described last week).

Before we moved to the condo in 2002 I gave one plant to my son, who seems to know about how to encourage green things. He even has a cactus collection; flowers bloom around his mailbox. The other one I put in the stairwell for a bit of greenery that wasn't artificial. Every now and then I'd bring it to the kitchen so it could look out the window, but there really is no place for plants in this kitchen. In general, condos are a bit light-deprived. Our house had 34 windows; the condo has maybe 10.

In mid-May of 2002 the remaining stunted, deprived plant started to falter. When I returned home from my parents' burial (Mom died in 2000 and Dad in 2002, but they were interred together) in late May I thought maybe it needed more sun since it had been accustomed to an east window at our house. So I put it outside in the covered entry area--you know--fresh air, sunshine. It works for people.

It continued to wilt, obviously in the throes of a death struggle. One little vine was left with green leaves among some sticks. After 32 years, I actually bought a bag of potting soil--something I'd never done when the little twig still had a chance. I moved it to a larger pot and put it on the deck on the north side to see if I could encourage it. But I think it knew its job was over.


Links to other Monday Memories
(If you participate, leave your link in the comments and I'll post it here)
1. Frog Legs , 2. Lady Bug, 3. Ocean Lady, 4. Joan 5. Ann 6. Kimmy 7. Jen 8. Crazie Queen
Click here for the Monday Memories code

Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!

8 comments:

Melzie said...

Aww... just think though- they lived long happy lives! And one lives on... better than me, outdoors I'm good.. indoors... well-- It's a sad plight for sure!!

Ladybug Crossing said...

I think you have better luck with plants than I do!!
LadyBug

PS My mm is up

Anonymous said...

Wow those plants have lived a long time. That reminds me of the spider plant my Gram gave me years ago. My cat has urinated on it during moves, ice storms, etc. and now it is planted in my backyard still thriving... I've had it since 1994. I love that plant!!! :) It is sooo huge now. Very durable!

Joan said...

You have a very readable writing style. I enjoyed reading about your study, though neglected, plants.

Kimmy said...

You kept it alive for 30 years...that's amazing! Same little pot, same old dirt...and it stayed alive.
My mom has no green thumb. She kills everything. A few years ago during Christmas she had Poinsettias lines up along the fireplace. My dad called it death row...
Thanks for stopping by this morning!

Jen said...

No way, you kept it alive that whole time in the same pot? That's wild!

Thanks for stopping by, I'll go link you up!

Jen said...

OK, I'll link you up later when Blogger sorts itself out. I've been trying this whole time. Grrrrrr. Didn't want you to wonder why I hadn't done it.

craziequeen said...

There's a moral in there somewhere....

my MM is up :-)

cq