Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Hillary Memories

Although I have a number of female friends who are Democrats, I don't know any who support Mrs. Clinton. I'm sure they'll be loyal Democrats and vote for her if she is the party's nominee, but there is zip, nada, zilch passion about her in the primaries. I think it's women's memories. They pre-date Hillary for a lot of us.

She reminds us of "the older woman" in the office or organization when we were 30-something--witchy, bitchy, menopausal, sneaky, know-it-all, humorless--you remember her don't you? Or if you're a lot younger than me, maybe you remember the boomer feminist who gave both of those terms a bad name. Always agitating, playing the victim. Or maybe your favorite was the gossip who stirred the pot every now and then.

Dear reader, I'm older than you, but my earliest memories of my three grandmothers begin when I was about four years old--they were 71, 68 and 49! And Hillary is 60. Now, we don't necessarily think "grandfather" when McCain or Kerry run, but as women, we just didn't hang out with a lot of adult men when we were growing up. Men were at work--doing big guy tough stuff. And the feminists made that even more lopsided by making sure women were put in positions of authority, so maybe you knew even fewer adult men than I did! Surely I'm not the only woman who sees this in Hillary. Now, all my grandmothers were terrific women--they ran their families just fine and they were powerful in their own right--but they just weren't presidential material.

Tomorrow we'll know after New Hampshire pulls the levers whether women have Hillary memories.

Jan. 9 update: So much for the accuracy of polls! "Obama Widens Lead Over Clinton in New Hampshire MANCHESTER, New Hampshire- Democrat Barack Obama expanded his lead over Hillary Clinton in New Hampshire to 13 points as voting began in the . . ." (Jan. 8 Zogby Poll)

2 comments:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I guess they liked her, but not by much. Personally, I'm not fond of either of them, but then again I vote for the other team so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Norma said...

I think her new advisors have already got a plan in place. She looked fabulous in her victory speech--hair lightened, feminine outfit, and apparently women really liked those tears of a few days ago.