Monday, April 20, 2009

Apple pie, bubble gum and stained teeth



Tonight our Holy Land Cruise group is getting together to share our photos and experiences. My end of the alphabet got pies. This is my sugar free apple pie (3 types of apples) just out of the oven. My neighbor and I are going together because our husbands have a meeting (same). I hope the Greek Orthodox group comes--they really livened up our Lutheran potlucks. As I said before, I used to make really good pies, but lately (last 7 years) not so much. I'm blaming it on an electric oven instead of gas. Actually, on Abington (34 years) I had a crappy gas stove. Sometimes it wouldn't light and I'd have to get on the floor, open the bottom, and bang on the pilot light with a spatula. You could always tell when Mom was baking from the loud noise in the kitchen.

This is a photo of the wild wallpaper in my bathroom. It sort of looks like draped satin with pink tassles. Can you tell gay decorators used to live here? When I first saw this room (after the brown/gold/gray living room, orange dining room, red family room, electric yellow guest room, and royal blue master suite, I thought it was over the top (I think there was a hanging lamp on a chain over the toilet). But now we've toned everything else down several octives to beige, pale gold, and khaki, so it looks a lot better to me. The towel color, called "bubble gum," has always been a problem. It's hard to find (matches the tassles). But today I found a set at K-Mart. I didn't even hesitate.

Have you seen all those ads popping up on your computer for white teeth? I glanced through a study at Ohio State about the home teeth whiteners taking some of the enamel, but it's pretty small. I thought it probably did, but gosh, when you drink as much coffee as I do (did), your teeth start to look bad around age 50 and it's worse if you smoke (I don't). And I've had a few cups since then. I pour my refill coffee into a Rubbermaid pint bottle for the next day. I've been watching the plastic get dark. Now, I could just buy some new bottles, but I know they'd be made in China. Mine are old enough to have been born in the USA. Still, a bit like my teeth. Yesterday I filled them with water and put in a couple TBSP of Clorox. Works like a dream. Unfortunately, that won't work with my teeth. I also wonder if it's degrading the plastic. Anyone know? Cuz? Also, several years ago a dentist (I've since fired) back filled with a little bonding my front teeth because the bottom teeth were wearing on the back of my top teeth. Now when I have my picture taken, the flash bounces and it looks like I have head lights in my mouth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Knocks your eyeballs out.