Sunday, September 27, 2009

On a personal note

This book, "On a personal note, a guide to writing notes with style" is my newest book, [cross referenced at my book blog] having received it for my recent birthday along with lots of note cards. I was told it has many good tips, and it does--most of which I already know. But it's a great review. Books on how to write letters and notes are a genre that go back a few centuries. What note and letter guides don't tell you is the effort that goes into it. Even for someone who writes as much as I do, I sometimes get discouraged by the task.

Here's how mine goes. First, I look through the list of names on my family list--siblings, aunts and uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews, my own children, to jog my memory if I need to write something--encouragement for that elusive job, a wedding anniversary, a thank you note for a special favor, or a get well/thinking of you card. Since paper address books just don't do it anymore (although I still have my mother's, grandmother's and some old ones of mine), I usually have to go to my computer database and check the Christmas label list. Then I get out the last several issues of the church newsletter--hospitalizations, moved to care facility, baptisms, deaths, etc. Then I check off the people I know, and get out the directory for the people I don't know, or can't quite remember the face. The picture directory isn't as up to-date as the printed directory, so both have to be used. Then I get out the bound day-by-day calendar book (no year) in which I record who got a note and why on what date (I write in the year). This needs to be reviewed from time to time, because if a church member I don't know well comes up to me 2 months later and thanks me for the card, I don't want to say, "Who me?"

We were out of town for 10 weeks this summer, so yesterday I covered up the kitchen table and counter top with all my accoutrements, and wrote 25 notes and cards, using my new gifts. I'm not done yet, but I ran out of stamps. So many people use e-mail these days, that a regular U.S. mail piece is a real treat--at least it is for me. It's especially so for people who are residing in assisted care or a nursing home. Even if they no longer remember who you are by name, they can enjoy a pretty card. There's one family in church I don't know but have been sending notes for several years about their daughter who was in a terrible auto accident caused by a drunk driver. Many people must be writing to them, or calling, because I've received occasional updates on her condition. One man I never expected would leave the hospital is home and in remission. My friend Lynne crafts lovely cards and she has helped me out with special "guy type" cards which are a little difficult to find.

If you're on one of my lists, you'll probably be getting a note on my new birthday stationery soon. The handwriting isn't what it used to be, so I hope you can read it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NORMA...THIS IS A GREAT PIECE! I SO HOPE IT ENCOURAGES PEOPLE TO WRITE MORE....EVEN IF IT IS JUST A LINE OR TWO. AND IT SERVES AS A REMIND TO ME...I SPEND EVERY SUNDAY EVENING MAKING CARDS AND AM GOOD ABOUT SENDING TO RELATIVES IN NURSING HOMES AND REMEMBERING BIRTHDAYS BUT WHY NOT TAKE IT A STEP FURTHER AND JUST JOT A NOTE FOR THE HECK OF IT. ESPECIALLY IN THE FALL. SO FRIEND,LOOK FOR SOMETHING IN THE MAIL,ALL BEIGE AND BROWN AND FALLISH.AGAIN,GOOD PIECE..." AM I ON YOUR LIST,OH,I HATE TO THINK OF WHICH LIST I AM NOT KNOWING HOW WE DIFFER ON SOME MATTERS" HEE