Saturday, September 26, 2009

First have something to say


Roy Tennant doesn’t know me, doesn’t read my blog, but I can identify, except I still think people need to have something to say before they e-mail, twitter or blog. I think from this post below, he’s decided everyone has something to say. I talk to a lot of people face to face, I read a lot, I’m on a bunch of lists; and sorry Roy, many have nothing to say at all about anything, but they never shut up. Some are college professors, some are on medication for brain disorders. Others can verbally express themselves, but their writing looks like my tennis or swimming (awful). Recently (in e-mail) my childhood friend Carol asked how could I find the time to read and write as much as I do. Everyone finds time to do what they enjoy--whether it’s attending board (bored) meetings, trying new recipes, walking 5 miles a day, training dogs, or collecting Annaco ceramic cats. It’s not about time, it’s not even about discipline. Here‘s Roy--a very good prolific writer and one with whom I frequently disagree:
    "I write a lot. Some might say too much. I write Twitter updates, e-mails, electronic discussion messages, blog posts, journal articles, books, and this "glacial blog" where I post maybe twice a year. I think about writing a lot. Some might say too much. And I have something to say about it.

    A colleague I greatly respect has said of writing "First, have something to say." At first this seems like complete wisdom, and for years it made total sense to me. But as I have thought more about it, I have become very uncomfortable with it. So I want to take this one post of my twice-a-year-blog to refute this statement since I think it potentially undermines potential writers at their most vulnerable point.” See if you agree with him no specific link but page says May 21, 2009

2 comments:

Roy Tennant said...

You frequently disagree with me? Oh shoot! :-) But you bring up some important points. While I still believe that pretty much everyone has something to say, I agree that not everyone knows what might be meaningful to others or be able to express it well. In the grand scheme of things, though, I'd rather encourage people to express themselves rather than to discourage them. It's up to me and you to find those whose voices speak to us.

Norma said...

Yes, I think blogging is a wonderful opportunity, and have even taught others to blog. But after the first entry or two, they quit. Nothing to say, or they prefer doing something else. Or they want comments and no one does. Thanks for stopping by.