Tuesday, September 22, 2009

We were certainly well fed

While I was at the Midwest Birding Symposium eating almost every meal out, my husband was at the Cum Cristo center downtown where wonderful volunteers were preparing delicious, love-filled meals for the men. Mary and I ate two meals at the Coffee and Cream shop, which provided a buffet breakfast and lunch (maybe supper, but we had other plans). On Friday we had a fabulous salad with tomato bisque soup, dessert and drink for $6.95, and on Saturday an even more fabulous salad with baked potato soup, croissant, dessert and drink.



Then as I was going through the vendors' booths on Saturday, I just couldn't resist "Mealtime Magic from Magee Marsh," a cookbook put together by the Friends of Magee Marsh (Oak Harbor, Ottawa County) located on the shore of Lake Erie with 2,000 acres of wetlands and a migratory bird center. It's a real birding hotspot, but I've never been there. Next year I'll put it on my to-do list. The Friends apparently get together for some good eatin pot lucks, and decided to do a cookbook in 2008.



So today I made a sausage zucchini casserole from p. 70. I made one small revision that I hope won't matter--I used some dried bread for the crust instead of a can of crescent rolls. It uses, besides sausage and grated zucchini, onion, eggs, cheddar cheese and lots and lots of herbs (that's the quantity it specifies, "lots"). It's in the frig and I'll put it in the oven at 350 for 20-25 minutes about 5:30 p.m.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be over!

Norma said...

I wish you had. A 9 x 13 casserole is a bit much for 2 people. But it was awfully good and perfect for a pot luck.