Saturday, October 10, 2009

Alternative to coupons

I found the article--it was in the September 2, 1981, Upper Arlington News--about 28 years ago. Here's the points I made.
  • I did the research after a conversation with co-workers who felt guilty that they didn't clip coupons, or didn't like it.

  • At the time I was a librarian in the OSU Agriculture Library and had access to little known publications that provided the answers.

  • If homemakers would use their time in preparation instead of coupon clipping and sorting and parties, they would save much more and serve their families better food.

  • Coupons were most often available for highly prepackaged food which are the most expensive.

  • I attributed women's (housewives) need to do this to being convinced they needed a paycheck to feel valuable (remember, we were only 10 years into the rush to go back to work as a result of the women's movement). "Clipping, filing, storing, redeeming--why it is just like office work, and you sometimes even get a check in the mail for your efforts. At last there is tangible reward for all your efforts," I said.

  • Homemakers are given a false sense of contributing to her family's economic well-being by being convinced that she's saving money.

  • The writer found my food budget very interesting--"she feeds her family of 4 (including a teenage son and daughter) for $50 or less a week. That's less than the government figures a family of four using food stamps must spend."

  • I'd gradually changed my shopping habits to include more fresh items and I "shopped the walls" for produce, dairy and meat avoiding the sea of prepackaged foods found in the center aisles.

  • I didn't drive around looking for bargains, read labels, bought generic brands.

  • Our children thought "real cheese" tasted funny when I made the change, so I recommended making changes gradually and ease the family into healthier, lower cost eating.

  • And of course, because I was a librarian, I recommended some books, "The supermarket Handbook" by the Goldbecks, and "Diet for a small Planet" by Frances Moore Lappe, and More with Less Cookbook by Doris Longacre. I still use the Longacre book occasionally.
I get a chuckle out of today's greenies who think they invented this.

3 comments:

Ladybug Crossing said...

LOL!! My mother has been doing this for years and years...

Marfis said...

In our previous exchange about coupons I did not include the fact that I don't use them either. You are absolutely right that nothing I want to buy has a coupon for fifteen cents off.
(I can't read the article even when I enlarge it.)

Norma said...

Time to see the optometrist. I'm wearing last year's prescription and I can read it--or else you can change the settings on your computer. I admit, though, since I changed the settings in my Corel, my scans have not been as good. Can't remember how to change it back.