Sunday, October 04, 2009

Funny moment during a sad event

My husband and I were drafted into ushering at a funeral the other night at our church. The congregation was going to be asked to sing (some rather unsingable tunes as it turned out), so the pastor asked us to suggest that people sit near the front, close to the family members. My husband speaks softly, and to be kind, sometimes I can't understand him. He said to one couple, 70-ish, "We're requesting that you sit near the front." "What'd he say?" the husband whispered to the wife, and she responded, "He said crazy people should sit near the front." I overheard this and saw her rolling her eyes, so I darted up the aisle and repeated the correct instructions.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is too funny!

Hokulea

mdoneil said...

I sit near the front.

Crazy people should sit near the front.

Sometimes I cross my eyes and count the candles.

Anonymous said...

As an usher at our church, I loved your story about ushering at the funeral. We read you blog frequently and really enjoy it since we are of the same political persuasion, and we also laughed at your directions for visitors to your lake house. (via e-mail)

Anonymous said...

I check the blog from time to time. Particularly grateful to know about the boy with the flesh eating disease. What a story. Also, give me note on e-mail when you come up for air from the blogging. Joan