Tuesday, October 06, 2009

On writing memories


I don't do as much as I used to--hard to do it without involving other people whose memories differ, and also there just wasn't that much going on in my life--married to the same guy for 49 years, lived here for 42 years, not many hobbies, most really big questions are settled, career moves and events are becoming a bit dim and more removed from the high tech environment of today. I have 40 years of letters to my parents, but really, they were just early unformed blogs. But. . . today. . . a comment.

About 3 years ago I did a Monday Memories about Heritage Lake, Indiana, and today got a nostalgic response. That’s one of the nice things about blogging. You never know who is going to find the entry or when. Other oldies that seem to get a lot of interest are boy paper dolls, Roger Vernam, children’s book illustrator, Halls of Ivy (the song and radio show), the Cimarron toilets, and of course, the old stand-by fixing a broken zipper. Last night at book club someone told me she'd flagged one of my blogs about my mother (a letter she wrote to a friend as a teen-ager when the family had gone west), and when the flag box filled up she finally read it and enjoyed it. From that she got to my sewing patterns blog, which is basically all memories since I no longer sew.

I don’t know what affect having no labeling will have on people finding me by accident through Google or Yahoo. For a long time, Blogger didn’t have a label function, and now it does, and suddenly without warning they’ve imposed a limit of 2000 labels. So unless I want to go back and delete labels, I can’t use that feature.

Label: blogging, memories

5 comments:

Soapbox Jill said...

My most frequently visited post is my July 4th one titled "O say can you see." It simply shows a photo I took of a flag waving, with a Happy Independence Day message. I've had people from Sweden, England, India, even Iraq (honestly), visit, probably looking up our national anthem. I've considered changing the title, or adding some other kind of message there. But I think I'll leave it alone and keep moving forward.
Norma, where did you find out about the labels limit?

Norma said...

I found out first when a bright red notice came up when I hit publish, and I couldn't publish until I removed the label. Then I looked at blogger's FAQ which is like a needle in a haystack, then I googled, like any smart librarian would. I found out that people even with 600-700 entries were getting the same message, so mine with over 7,000 was really over the limit.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

Shoot. I looked at the picture at the top and thought this was going to be in support of my "I hate low flow toilets" post.(unlabled somewhere in the past)

Norma said...

It's those no water urinals I worry about.

John said...

The "A blog may have at most 2000 labels" change is just too much. Its causing quite a riot at the Google Forums right now. http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/blogger/thread?tid=4844c90fd0e8a526&hl=en

People are switching to Wordpress because Blogger has gone too far this time. I think Google want people to leave Blogger, it's the only thing that make sense.