Sunday, October 17, 2010

Odd things our government does

Did you know that African Americans are at a higher risk for glaucoma than whites, Asians or Hispanics? And did you know the government includes them in Medicare for glaucoma screening at age 50, but not the rest of us, even though anyone can get glaucoma, and in numbers, more whites are affected than blacks? Oh well. I was listening to a public service announcement on the radio this morning and almost couldn't believe my ears. So I looked it up--several times.

Also on the page where I was reading about this, ophthalmologist was misspelled. So I searched through the documents until I found a contact link--almost everything was phone numbers, even though I was using the web--until I finally found something, so I wrote:
    You have misspelled ophthalmologist at a page on glaucoma screening https://www.cms.gov/GlaucomaScreening/ The phth only appears in a few words in English, but on a government web site, it should be spelled correctly.

3 comments:

Three Score and Ten or more said...

I was both screened for and treated for the onset of Glaucoma paid for by Medicare about ten years ago. (Still being treated)

Norma said...

Were you 65 and eligible for Medicare benefits 10 years ago? Since I have vision insurance I've never used Medicare for eye screening.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

You got me there. I should read more carefully. I didn't notice the age 50 thing. Actually, I was screened for glaucoma when I had surgery for holes in my retina in 1993 when it was covered by my University insurance. It was discovered that I had it (now on medicare) about ten years ago when I made my yearly pilgrimage to my eye surgeon at the Medical College of Georgia.