Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Whatever happened to Shirley Sherrod?

Is her 15 minutes of fame over? The last news I can find about her is dated August 24 and she'd turned down a new job at the USDA and was going to lie low for awhile. I don't know if Obama ever apologized to her or not, but I doubt that firing her was Vilsack's idea. As it turned out, or turned up after her name kept appearing, she and her husband were involved in some payout from the government that needed further investigation, so I think she's smart to disappear for awhile. And consult with her lawyer.

Some new regulations came out of this, and number one is, well, I'm flummoxed that it wasn't in place: "1.) The department should follow existing resignation protocol and review all relevant facts before making a decision." I mean, even political appointees deserve some fair play.

No comments: