Saturday, January 09, 2016

Baptism of our Lord, January 10

 Image result for baptism of jesus clipart

If your church follows the lectionary (C), tomorrow we celebrate the baptism of Jesus. Luke 3:15-17, 21-22 At our church we're in a series on Joel, so I don't know what the Gospel lesson is--it's not listed on the church website.

About 80% of Christian groups baptize infants, but I remember my baptism, Palm Sunday 1950 in Mount Morris Church of the Brethren. (A friend, Sylvia, who still lives in Mt. Morris looked it up--she was probably in the same group). My mother made the trip for instruction every Sunday afternoon for about 6 weeks, and I remember Rev. Foster B. Statler (d. 1971), and how patient he was with a bunch of wiggly, ignorant children trying to be holy. It's a nice memory, but it wasn't faith. That came later and has to be renewed often. Ten year olds don't know a whole lot more than infants, and maybe less!

No comments: