Today's Old Testament lesson is from 1 Samuel 8 and should be a lesson for Americans. The people are unhappy with Samuel and tell him they want a King. He warns them, but they insist. Really, it sounds like the American voters who think ever expanding statism in the form of Hillary or Bernie, or a bombastic loud mouth "boss" like Trump is OK. So he prayed to the LORD, who replied:
"The Lord answered Samuel, “Comply with the people’s request—everything they ask of you—because they haven’t rejected you. No, they’ve rejected me as king over them. They are doing to you only what they’ve been doing to me from the day I brought them out of Egypt to this very minute, abandoning me and worshipping other gods. So comply with their request, but give them a clear warning, telling them how the king will rule over them.”
Then Samuel explained everything the Lord had said to the people who were asking for a king. “This is how the king will rule over you,” Samuel said:
- “He will take your sons,
- and will use them for his chariots
- and his cavalry
- and as runners for his chariot.
- He will use them as his commanders of troops of one thousand and troops of fifty,
- or to do his plowing and his harvesting,
- or to make his weapons
- or parts for his chariots.
- He will take your daughters to be perfumers, cooks, or bakers.
- He will take your best fields, vineyards, and olive groves and give them to his servants.
- He will give one-tenth of your grain and your vineyards to his officials and servants.
- He will take your male and female servants,
- along with the best of your cattle[c] and donkeys, and make them do his work.
- He will take one-tenth of your flocks, and then
- you yourselves will become his slaves!
- When that day comes, you will cry out because of the king you chose for yourselves, but on that day the Lord won’t answer you.” " (CEB)