Friday, September 10, 2004

464 Former VVAW wants to apologize to veterans

Steven J. Pitkin appeared at the "Winter Soldier Investigation" conducted in Detroit in 1971 by former Navy Lieutenant John Kerry and his group, Vietnam Veterans Against the War, but now says he never intended to testify and that his statements were coerced. . . He says that he wants to apologize to Vietnam veterans for what he did and said as a young man.

"The VVAW found me during a difficult time in my life, and I let them use me to advance their political agenda," Pitkin said. "They pressured me to tell their lies, but that's no excuse for what I did. I just want people to know the truth and to make amends as best I can. I'd hate to see the troops serving today have to go through what Vietnam veterans did."

Another group, Vietnam Veterans for the Truth, will hold a rally in Washington, DC on September 12.”

Full story is here.

No comments: