Saturday, September 08, 2007

We're off to Ireland

Although I had access to a computer when we were in Finland last year, I don't expect to be blogging from Ireland. I've posted our schedule and sites here. I'm hoping the weather will be coolish, because I've packed more fall clothes than summer. I've got lots of things here for you to read, in case you miss me.

It's not cheap to travel, but thanks to President Bush's tax cuts we can. I've written about this before. I watched our investments and my 403-b stagnate and sink the year I retired (2000), then they took another hit from terrorists the following year. Our house was on the market on 9/11, and talk about real estate going nowhere! But we've weathered the storm, and the economy has been booming regardless of how the Democrats have tried to stop it and nay-say it.

Mr. Bush and I don't agree on many things, like immigration reform, North American union, and his inability to regroup his Republican Congress so that he could push through some much needed reforms in Social Security. The war hasn't gone well, many mistakes were made, but I'm thankful we aren't abandoning the Iraqis like we did the Vietnamese, or negotiating millions into starvation the way we did in Korea. And looking at the current crop of candidates, he may be the last Republican president who will hold the line on killing the unborn and using them for medical research.

However, I do thank him for this wonderful trip to Ireland to visit the home of my ancestors (Scots-Irish, 18th c., settled in TN), a place about the size of Ohio but with a much bigger history, a fascinating culture and a now booming economy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will have a wonderful time. I think you will find the weather lovely, just perfect for a walk. Perhaps a soft rain now and again.

There are internet cafes all around so if you want to pop into one to blog that should be no trouble.

When you are in Waterford, if you want to get some less expensive -daily use- crystal try Penrose Crystal. I have lots of stuff from there that I use daily. It is of good quality and has held up for years. They will ship things back for you to save you the VAT.

It is in a bit of an awkward place, but any taxi driver should be able to get you there. It is at 32 John Street. Don't expect a huge factory, but a smallish showroom. I've know Diarmaud for quite some time and I've never been disappointed with anything I've had from there.

Remeber comfortable shoes. Oh, and an Irish breakfast is the most wonderful meal in the world. Sausage, Bacon (not that tiny little stuff from the States), black pudding, white pudding (sausage-ish things don't ask what is in them) fried eggs, tomato, mushrooms, beans, fried slice of bread, potatoes and tea all with real dairy products -wonderful milk for the tea, and really butter for the rest. It will of course cause a massive heart attack in a few days, but oh what a wonderful meal.

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a great time in Ireland and I envy you as I've never been there - so please keep us posted!

So last year in Finland, now Iceland - is Norway next then? :-)

Btw: Your analysis of Bush was interesting.

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I hope you have a wonderful and safe trip! I can't wait to read all about it when you return.