Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Thrifty Food Plan


The Thrifty, Low-Cost, Moderate-Cost, and Liberal Food Plans each represent a nutritious diet at a different cost. The Thrifty Food Plan is the basis for food stamp allotments.

I would have no problem preparing good, nutritious meals with variety and even special treats or desserts using the cost allowed for a couple in our age group--$80.10 a week. Keep in mind when you check this plan that it is for food--not cigarettes, not alcohol, not laundry soap, not that cute seasonal dish towel or those table napkins, or health and beauty aids. I'm not sure it even includes soda, chewing gum or bottled water.

I did this experiment back in the early 80s when I had two teenagers--one a growing boy with a hollow leg, and I had no problem then either. The government is more than generous when figuring food stamp allotments.

The government also wants you to exercise, and this is a nice video for squats.
  • Half squat 1:20
  • Or diddly squat if you're lazy like me.

    No comments: