Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Foster Friess frenzy

The people who covered for a philandering golfer, various horny presidents and governors, and innumerable bisexual hunky celebrities, now have their collective panties in a knot over an innocent joke (and I think clever in its message) of Foster Friess, a wealthy supporter of Rick Santorum. Really? They just look silly. These people wink at wardrobe malfunctions that millions see, a soaring out of wedlock birth rate (43% of births in my county), push contraceptives for young teens knowing their health risks, and don't bat an eyelash at Obama's born alive abortion beliefs. And they can't take a joke about how to say No? It is such a phony way to go after Santorum you wonder how these people can sleep at night. It convinces me that the lefties are totally humorless--if a Republican told a plumber's crack joke they'd probably think he was ridiculing drug addicts.

Where are the charities that Pelosi and other pols (or Andrea Mitchell for that matter) who have become rich with insider trading and real estate deals at the tax payers' expense? Of the top ten wealthiest in Congress, I think 7 are Democrats. Take a look at what the Friess family does.
Last week my joke at the Conservative Political Action Conference generated laughter and media attention. Today on Andrea Mitchell’s show, my aspirin joke bombed as many didn’t recognize it as a joke but thought it was my prescription for today’s birth control practices. In fact, the only positive comments I got were from folks who remembered it from 50 years back. Birth control pills weren’t yet available, so everyone laughed at the silliness on how an aspirin could become a birth control pill.

After listening to the segment tonight, I can understand how I confused people with the way I worded the joke and their taking offense is very understandable. To all those who took my joke as modern day approach I deeply apologize and seek your forgiveness. My wife constantly tells me I need new material—she understood the joke but didn’t like it anyway—so I will keep that old one in the past where it belongs.

I am a big fan of the ancient Jewish scripture which says “God works everything for good for those that love Him and are called to His purpose.” So maybe the good to come from the high profile reaction is a better understanding of Rick Santorum. He publicly stated he would not ban contraception; he has said if he were a member of a state legislature which introduced such a bill, he would vote against it; and he has incurred the wrath of his more conservative friends for voting to fund contraception to fight AIDS in Africa.
The good that has come out of this (God has his ways) is that now millions know who Foster Friess is and the good work he is doing around the world to save lives. I'm just sorry both Friess and Santorum didn't call out the press on their hypocrisy.

No comments: