Saturday, March 29, 2014

Do you shop at Whole Foods?

"In 1978, 25 year old college dropout John Mackey and 21 year old Rene Lawson Hardy, borrowed $45,000 from family and friends to open the doors of a small natural foods store called SaferWay in Austin, Texas (the name being a spoof of Safeway, which operated stores under their own name in Austin at that time). When the couple got booted out of their apartment for storing food products there, they decided to simply live at the store. Since it was zoned commercial, there was no shower stall. Instead, they bathed in the Hobart dishwasher, which had an attached water hose." . . fast forward through various mergers and acquisitions, and you have Whole Foods, where I know many of you shop. I bought 50 shares this week. That's how ordinary people like me can be part of the big vision of those more ambitious and talented in the U.S. Let's not lose that through a greedy government that punishes small start ups. There's a brand new Whole Foods in my community--I'll have to stop in and check out my investment. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/company-info/whole-foods-market-history

No comments: