Sunday, June 07, 2015

The Anima Christi

Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O good Jesus, hear me.
Within your wounds, hide me.
Never let me be separated from you.
From the malignant enemy, defend me.
At the hour of death, call me;
and bid me come to you.
That with your saints I may praise you
forever and ever.

Amen.
(Attributed to St. Ignatius Loyola, but authorship uncertain)

Communion today.  With merging services this will be a first time for us to serve with this group. We call it a grace operation.

I've read the poem in Latin, and the modern English translation, but like this old one best (although some older ones use thee and thy). Looks more accurate and is also more poetic.

No comments: