Saturday, July 11, 2015

When cities disappear

I don't know why it bothers me more in Indianapolis than Columbus--it's the same in all cities--but driving that free way system a number of times this week made me think of all the neighborhoods that were sliced and diced, business districts and churches destroyed, clubs and societies split up, families separated, slums created, all by federal money to keep commerce and traffic moving. And now we see it happening again with a reverse push to move the poor, so the down town and old neighborhoods are being "gentrified" and rehabbed, old buildings being preserved, bike baths and canals and new codes being enforced so tourists and the yuppies have a playground. I suppose it's because I remember the Indy of 55 years ago, and recognize nothing today.

Memorial Presbyterian

Memorial Presbyterian, Indianapolis, where 3 generations of my husband’s family worshipped Jesus. I believe the archives are at Hanover College.

No comments: