Friday, March 09, 2018

Today is National Meatball Day

We’re going to the Fish Fry at Our Lady of Victory tonight so I’ve decided to have meatball sandwiches for lunch.

These are my favorite meatballs, although not what we’ll have for lunch today.

Sweet Sour Meatballs
(Christmas Eve 2000)

3 lbs. ground chuck
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
2 eggs
1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1 can (8 oz) sauerkraut, drained
1 can (8 oz.) whole cranberry sauce
1 bottle (12 oz.) chili sauce
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar

Mix meat, onion soup mix, eggs and bread crumbs and form into meatballs. Brown the meatballs. Combine the sauerkraut, cranberry sauce, chili sauce and brown sugar.  Pour over the meatballs and bring to a boil. Turn into a casserole and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.  12 good size servings. This made a nice change from the usual roast or ham.  Was served with a potato casserole and a green beans/onion casserole.  From Columbus Dispatch.

[My notes: I couldn't find cans of the size requested, but I used the correct number of  ounces.  I would think the jellied sauce would work also--especially if you have someone in the family who doesn't like the texture of whole pieces of fruit in with the meat (I have such a person.)  I didn't use the sugar--cranberry sauce is pretty sweet, but taste it to see if yours needs it.  Mine made 24 big meatballs--if you made them smaller, would be more like appetizers.  I prepared the sauce the day before and just warmed it up and poured it over the browned meatballs after I put them in a 9 x 13 dish.  Froze the left-overs and they were fantastic in January.]

No comments: