Saturday, March 07, 2020

Update on Phil

When I noted on Facebook that Phil was at his own home after 6 days in the hospital with help from his family, a friend from church, a widow about my age, sent this message, one that warms a mother’s heart:

“Thanks so much for update on dear Phil, Norma. I continue to pray for him and your family. Please tell him I keep his note on my computer, and I think of him always; it says, "Thank you for everything you've done for me. Phil Bruce." It was attached to flowers he sent to me at work -- a long time ago. O how I have loved you, Phil, for many years, and I've always felt we have had a good connection, starting when you were in one of my Sunday school classes. I hope it feels good for you to be home now; I pray you can feel God's presence and love, Phil, and mine.”

This week-end we hired a care giver for the first time so we could get some rest.  However, with medication confusion and the need to be there for a plumber, we didn’t see much rest.  It’s like leaving your baby with a sitter for the first time. (I remember that, too.)  She’s very nice and we all liked her right away.  She’s from Sierra Leone and lost her own daughter during their terrible Civil War in the 1990s—and I’m guessing she would have been about Phil’s age.  She’s been in the U.S. about 30 years, is a Christian, and prayed with Phil (I found out later). https://www.blackpast.org/global-african-history/sierra-leone-civil-war-1991-2002/

Phil is on a number of prayer lists—my cousin Gayle, my siblings and the Indiana relatives have been particularly faithful about that, although there are many others. Phil’s church has a “Care and Share” group that brings him special meals and has provided me with suggestions. His pastors visit regularly.

Because of my vertigo I haven’t been driving to his home (about 25 minutes through a lot of traffic) and this week Keith, a friend of Phil’s from high school, was home (he’s a pilot) and provided me transportation three times, Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday.  On Thursday he also brought along a wonderful dinner of fish, rice and spinach which he had made the night before.  In addition to his friendship, he’s also a great chef. He was born in Goa, India and lived many years in Japan

Phil’s girlfriend Sara has been invaluable.  She’s a teacher with a busy schedule that includes volunteering, tutoring, and checking in on her own relatives, but still finds time to spend hours with Phil, bathing, changing sheets, running errands, doing laundry, and bringing him treats he likes.

Life is easier when the body of Christ works together.

No comments: