Sunday, September 01, 2024

Reading to children

The word gap in early childhood is important. A child with a Mom who reads to her may hear a million more words than one who doesn't have that advantage.  I have many happy memories of Mom reading to my brother and me in the big burgundy late 40s chair with arms large enough to hold two children of school age (the chair, not hers). I can probably even remember the books. We didn't know what an advantage she was giving us even though we lived in a rural town of 1,000 with all 12 grades in one building. No amount of DEI later in life or Head Start as toddlers can surpass a mother who reads to her children. I remember the Little Engine that Could, the Ugly Duckling, and the Wee wee Mannie and the big big Coo to this day. Those stories had an ideology and lessons, great illustrations and challenging vocabulary plus Mom did great accents.

2 comments:

Norma said...

https://www.winnetkahistory.org/gazette/olive-beaupre-miller/

Norma said...

I learned today that My Book House is part of a podcast, and you can hear Wee Wee Mannie and Big Big Coo, although not as good as my mother did it. https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/in-the-nursery-of-my-bookhouse-117767/episodes/the-wee-wee-mannie-and-the-big-5432555