Wednesday, February 01, 2006

2103 ALA sells "radical, militant" buttons

What a surprise! What a stretch! About 90% of them are, so what's new? Maybe they could make Cindy Sheehan an honorary librarian. Or that phony balony white professor posing as an Indian. Or Maureen Dowdy.

"ALA’s Office for Intellectual Freedom will sell the buttons for $2.00 (1-10 buttons); $1.50 (11-50 buttons); and $1.25 (51 or more). All proceeds support the programs of the office [to bring down the Patriot Act and to not support Cuban librarians in their fight for freedom]."

Just can't tell you how happy I am that I never joined the American Library Association. (I was a member of the Medical Library Association.) Want to know how bad things are for librarians? Take a look at the scale for professional dues. What other profession that requires a master's degree has salaries this low?

"The salary threshold for a lower dues rate also would be increased from $20,000 to $25,000. If approved by members, the changes would go into effect in September 2006. ALA also will provide an option for installment payments by credit card."

That's because ALA minds everyone's business but its own. I'd be embarrassed to have this on the website, and do a mailing instead.

2 comments:

Foxy said...

I'm with you. Salaries should be the number one issue of this professional organization. Librarian wages have traditionally been just enough to keep a spinster from starving, and they will remain that way until we make it a priority.

Natalie said...

I agree with you about low pay for people who work so hard & make such a difference in lives. My mom has her masters degree in Library Science. She's currently a professor/librarian at a Christian University, and was previously at the top of her field at the State Dept. of Education (I think I may have told you this before.. if so, I apologize for repeating). She is a member of ALA and one of the leaders of the state library association for this year. I'll have to ask her what she thinks about the increase in dues for ALA 2006.